Friday, August 21, 2015

Tasting Day: Super Simple Cream Ale

Recipe and Brewday here.

After close to 4 weeks of carbonation, I opened a bottle of Cream Ale.


The hiss as I opened the bottle instantly told me that the beer had carbonated well. Even though I poured very slowly, a finger and half thick foamy white head formed instantly and this took time to settle down to a quarter-inch thick head. I swirled the glass around and the head formed again with a quarter-inch thick white foam.

The clean golden yellow, or sunshine yellow beer reminded me of the Palest Pale Ale I brewed a few months back. This, being a simple Cream Ale, was supposed to have no stand out aromas but I got a distinct lemon or citrus aroma which wasn’t expected because only one hop addition was carried out in total, that too for bitterness. On inhaling deeper, I could smell a faint sour note.

When bottling this, I was left with a half glass of beer that I drank. At the time, what I smelt was very different than what I tasted and it was no surprise today either. As is the case with most beers I brew, I took a fairly long sip. It was light bodied and I noticed almost instantly that there was a faint tartness to it but the beer was crisp and therefore very refreshing too. At 4% ABV, the beer was very drinkable and I finished off a bottle in no time.

My only gripe with this beer, and it is a small gripe, is the bitterness. While I targeted under 20 IBUs, the bitterness sticks out slightly more than I wanted. Maybe next time I’ll keep it lower.

No comments:

Post a Comment